-A LITTLE ABOUT LISA-
I am an over-educated, under-qualified accidental housewife.
Cleaning house and folding laundry aren’t on my resume so I have no idea how I got the job –I know some housewives and househusbands who make this look like a dream position, but I’m just not cut out for it and the worst part is that the pay and vacation time stink.
Why am I so bad at this job? Well, we weren’t all made to be rocket scientists or accountants and I guess I just wasn’t made to be a housewife. It is one of the most difficult things I have ever tried to do. I suppose that it doesn’t help that I never intended to be a housewife in the first place: I certainly didn’t knock myself out to build the necessary skill set.
Now, I am resolute to change course and use some of my actual skills to do something I love.
In 2012 I decided to give my life a makeover: I would start my own business.
With a paltry $10,000, I launched a boutique company offering tours in France. Backed by the blind faith of my French husband and guided by my trusty business adviser, my dream is becoming a reality. Hard work has brought to fruition a full-fledged company.
Now, the big question is if I will be able to get my brand name out there and attract enough customers to make the business thrive. It seems improbable but I’m determined to make it happen.
I’ve decided to blog about my attempt to realize my dream in hopes of finding the encouragement to drive me forward at those times when it seems like the smartest thing to do might be giving up.
To begin, please click on “chapter one” below.
- Introduction: A glass half-full
- The End: “New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings” Lao Tzu
- The End (part 2)
- Beginning “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.” Confucious
- A Noble Profession “What is a stay-at-home mom worth in 2016? Total Salary $143,102” -Salary. com
- Finding Myself “Not till we are lost, do we begin to find ourselves.” -Henry David Thoreau
- A Sound Foundation. “The home should be the treasure chest of living.” -Le Corbusier (Architect)
- The Stuff Dreams are Made From, Motivation “Fulfillment is the enemy of dreams” -Erich Marie Remarque
- Limited Means “A tin roof is one of the greatest indicators of prosperity in the developing world” -Chelsea Clinton
- Buying Tickets to France (when you are broke) “Small streams make big rivers” -French Proverb
- Attempting to Realize my Potential “And ain’t I a woman?” -Sojourner Truth
- Finding my Own Way “Your heart is full of fertile seeds, waiting to sprout.” – Morihei Ueshiba
- Assessing My Life “Play is the highest form of research” -Albert Einstein
- To Visit the Eiffel Tower as a Tourist or Like a Parisian? “When good Americans die, they go to Paris” -Oscar Wilde
- In Search of a Publisher “You can’t buy happiness but you can buy books and that’s kinda the same thing.” -Unknown
- Strike TWO “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger” -Friedrich Nietzsche
- Hitting Bottom “Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different?” -C.S. Lewis
- Love at First Sight? “No matter how much time goes by I’ll never forget the first time you looked at me and how I fell in love.” -Unknown
- His Version of our First Encounter (A.K.A. The Party)
- Could It Be Me? “The best feeling is when you look at him and he is already staring.” -Unknown
- The Restless Limbo of the Nonworking Woman “Success is the good fortunate that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration and inspiration.” -Evan Esar
- The Third Wheel “Most of these love triangles are wrecktangles.” Jacob Braude
- Tough Split-Second Choices “You have to let people go. Everyone who is in your life is meant to be in your journey, but not all of them our meant to stay ’til the end.” -unknown
- It was Simple
- Romantic France “C’est a partir de toi que j’ai dit oui au monde.” -Paul Eluard
- Third Try is a Charm? “To live is the rarest ting in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” -Oscar Wilde
Memories “Traveling. It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” -Ibn Battuta
- Creating a Dream “It is not down on any map. True Places never are.” -Herman Melville
- Becoming a Foodie “Good food is the foundation of great happiness.” Auguste Escoffier
- Becoming a Oenophile “In victory you deserve champagne. In defeat, you need it.” -Napoleon Bonaparte
- Red-tape and a French Wedding “Stupidity is also a gift of God but one mustn’t misuse it.” -Pope John Paul II
- The French Wedding “In summer, the song sings itself.” ~William Carlos Williams
- Preparing the French Wedding “Let them eat cake.” ~Marie Antoinette
- Making the First Tour Itinerary “Life isn’t about making others happy. It is about sharing your happiness with others.” -unknown
Picking a Wedding Dress “Feeling Beautiful has nothing to do with what you look like.” -Unknown
- Finalizing the First Tour Itinerary “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.” -Unknown
- The Wedding Day